Email signup:

Press Releases

VIDEO: Wilson Questions Province on Refusal to Provide Disaster Relief for Angus Tornado Victims

(October 29, 2014) Today in the Ontario Legislature, Simcoe-Grey MPP questioned the government over disaster relief funding to assist people who were impacted by the EF-2 tornado that hit Angus this past June. Wilson received a letter from Mayor Terry Dowdall last week asking for his help on the issue.

"As you well know, on June 17th of this year a devastating EF-2 tornado ripped through the Township of Essa ... Homes were destroyed, people were displaced and the municipality incurred substantial costs to assist residents and help with the clean-up," said Wilson.

"Minister, you sent a letter to the municipality just recently and you turned down their application and gave them zero dollars ... Why aren't you able to provide that assistance?" continued Wilson.

The Township submitted an application to the Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program in early July. They received correspondence recently advising that they are not entitled to any assistance because the damage could be covered by insurance or fundraising efforts. Wilson continued in his supplementary to question the government on the real reasons the application was denied.

"I have an article from the Barrie Examiner that says 'no tornado relief coming' and it hints that the reason we are not getting any relief ... is because it's a Tory Blue riding," said Wilson. "I hope that's not the case."

The Minister denied the claim and reiterated that all costs were either being covered by insurance coverage or money that had been fundraised.

-30-


Ontario's Debt Clock

Constituent Services

Issues