Dedication of a Memorial to the Royal Newfoundland Fencible Infantry
(September 11, 2014) Today in Minesing, Jim was pleased to participate in the unveiling of a memorial in honour of the men of The Royal Newfoundland Regiment who occupied Fort Willow in the winter and spring of 1814. The Fort was used as a supply depot during the war of 1812. It was also used by Aboriginal peoples, Fur Traders and Explorers as part of a major transportation route known as The Nine Mile Portage and helped to ensure the geographical boundaries of Canada today. In the Picture (L to R) Walter Benotto, Councillor in the Town of Shelburne and Past Chair NVCA, David Brunelle from the Historic Military Establishment of Upper Canada, Peter Monahan from Friends of Historic Fort Willow, Richard Dixon from Friends of Historic Fort Willow and Lt. Colonel Andrew Heale, the Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion Royal Newfoundland Regiment.