Press Releases

Wilson Wants to Promote Midwifery Services

(July 12, 2013) Simcoe-Grey MPP Jim Wilson has been getting to know his local midwives.  He was pleased to recently attend the “Grand Re-Opening” of Midwives Nottawasaga Collingwood located on Beachwood Road (formerly Hwy 26).  Wilson joined local midwives to tour the space and listen to presentations by local businesses that provide services to mothers and babies.

“It was great to actually go in and meet the women who are providing this service in our community and the families who are benefiting from midwifery care,” said Wilson. “It’s a great facility, and I am truly appreciative of the work they do.” 

Wilson also met with Registered Midwife Lilly Martin earlier in the year who asked for help in getting the word out about midwifery services in the community.  He was interested to learn that the facility handles upwards of 200 births a year with approximately 75 percent of their clients giving birth in hospital, either in Collingwood or Orillia.  The clinic reports that the other 25 percent of clients choose to give birth at home. 

According to Martin, midwifery care has been regulated and funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care since 1994. She is concerned, however, that there are still a lot of myths about midwives: for example, that you have to have a home birth, that you have to pay for care or that midwives can’t access pain medications.  Martin wanted to correct these falsehoods.

“We all have hospital privileges and can offer patients the choice of hospital or home birth,” said Martin. “We also can offer our clients the same options as physicians in terms of medication and intervention when needed, either on our own orders or via consultation with an obstetrician. Our services are also fully covered for residents of Ontario, including some who don’t have OHIP.”

Wilson has been a big supporter of midwifery over the years. As a former Minister of Health, he was instrumental in getting the midwifery program off the ground. “Midwives can play a huge role in bringing down the costs of health care in the province,” says Wilson.  “Right now, 40% of women who want midwifery care get turned away due to lack of space.”  

Martin said that Midwives Nottawasaga is working hard to ensure that all women have the option of midwifery.

Midwives Nottawasaga provides women with prenatal, labour and postpartum care. They are also willing to provide anyone that is considering the service with a free 45 minute appointment to see if midwifery care is the right option for them. The Collingwood practice also has a satellite clinic in Midland.


Ontario's Debt Clock

Email Signup


Get the most up to date information on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).