Press Releases

Nicolston Pioneer Cemetary Plaque Dedication

nicolston pioneer cemetary

Image: Jim with Essa Mayor Sandie Macdonald and the three Franklins named after founder Franklin Nicol

(June 17, 2020) Simcoe-Grey MPP Jim Wilson joined members of the Essa Historical Society, local dignitaries and three generations of the Nicol family on the weekend for the dedication of a plaque commemorating the Nicolston Pioneer Cemetery. The village of Nicolston was founded by John Nicol in 1853 and was home to a sawmill that was later converted to a flour and grist mill.

In 1859, John Nicol deeded property for a cemetery next to Nicol's Mill Presbyterian Church. This was later known as Carluke Presbyterian, Nicolston Presbyterian, and after 1925, Nicolston United.

Wilson commended the Historical Society, the Township of Essa and the Nicol family for their work and dedication in preserving the cemetery, an important part of Simcoe County history.
"Our past makes us the people we are today" said Wilson. "Remembering the pioneers who built our communities helps us to understand the present and prepare for the future," he added.

The mill site is now the location of the Nicolston Dam Campground which was founded 60 years ago and is currently run by the 5th and 6th generations of the Nicol family.

The church was closed in 1957. The cemetery was restored in 1972. A few stones remain standing, but most have been gathered into two rows and set on concrete bases.

 


Ontario's Debt Clock

Email Signup

COVID-19

Get the most up to date information on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).

ONTARIO'S RESPONSE CANADA'S RESPONSE