Email signup:

Press Releases

Wilson disappointed by closure of Collingwood Enterprise-Bulletin

(November 29, 2017) – MPP Jim Wilson was disappointed to find out the Collingwood Enterprise Bulletin had been closed for good.

On Monday, November 27, newspaper corporations Torstar and Postmedia announced a deal to swap and close a number of community newspapers across Ontario. The Enterprise-Bulletin was one of the newspapers shut down effective immediately.

“It was a sad day for local community news in Collingwood. The Enterprise-Bulletin had been publishing in Collingwood for 160 years,” said Wilson. “The staff of the Enterprise-Bulletin always did their jobs with pride and professionalism. I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.”

Wilson said it is distressing community newspapers across the province are struggling to stay in business.

“Community newspapers play a valuable role in our society. They keep us up to date on the happenings at local council meetings, cover local events and sports, let us know what’s happening in our home towns, are a valuable advertising resource for local businesses and much more,” he said. “They are also a great place for young journalists to start their careers and learn the business.”

Just last month, in the legislature Wilson asked the government about a tax credit to help community newspapers during Question Period. Please view the attached video for the exchange.


Ontario's Debt Clock

Constituent Services